If you’re an actor looking to take your career to the next level in 2022, having your own actor website will help you establish a strong online presence. You must determine which platform will enable you to promote yourself and your work.
And we’re not talking about being active on social media platforms (though those are important as well!). We’re talking about how to create the perfect actor website design for your career. In today’s market, having an actor website is just as important as having a headshot and résumé.
There’s no question that being an actor in today’s ultra-competitive environment is not for the faint of heart. To deal with the countless rejections and long periods between gigs, you’ll need a steely stomach. These are just two of the many obstacles that aspiring actors face on their way to “making it.”
You only have one chance to make a good first impression.
Actors have very little window of opportunity to make a lasting impression on their potential employers. Casting directors are known for making split-second judgments about who to invite in for an audition.
Traditionally, casting decisions were made solely based on an actor’s headshot photo. Nowadays, those decisions are based on actor websites that convey professionalism, are intuitively laid out and are consistent with their personality and brand.
Although the acting industry is fiercely competitive, having a well-designed actor website is one of the best ways to stand out and be noticed. The good news is that creating a website is now much simpler than it was previously. Furthermore, you can rest easy that you won’t have to spend a fortune to get your basic actor website up and running.
In reality, the total cost of a professional-looking actor website is as low as it has ever been. So, let’s take a look at how any aspiring actor, regardless of technical skill level, can create a career-launching website in just a few simple steps.
5 easy steps to creating The Perfect actor website Design
If the phrase “web development” makes you nervous, don’t worry; we’ve got you covered. To create your own actor website, you don’t need to be a technological wizard or a design genius.
You also don’t need to learn a coding language (although it’s helpful, and tons of fun to learn) to create a website. There are numerous great website builders on the market that will allow you to get a beautiful site up and running in a matter of hours. Some of the most popular DIY website builders include SquareSpace, Wix, and Weebly.
If you haven’t yet created your actor website, simply follow along with this simple guide on how to create your perfect actor website. If you already have an acting website, use this as a checklist to make sure it still satisfies your needs. Perhaps you can incorporate some of the suggestions made here into your website.
Step 1: Purchase a domain name
It’s a good idea to look for the.com after your first and last name: joesmith.com, paulsmith.com. However, if you have a common name, this may not be possible.
STEP 2: Look for a site hosting service
Now that you have your own domain name, it’s time to find a web hosting company to host your actor website. The majority of the major internet service providers offer web hosting services. They can also supply you with a number of email addresses.
Depending on the technology and support you select, hosting services can range from $2 to $100+ per month. You can usually get a discount if you buy a yearly plan rather than a monthly plan.
There are two approaches to selecting a web-hosting service:
- Website builder with hosting included (Squarespace, Wix, Weebly): Check out these services if you’re searching for a quick and easy solution to create a gorgeous actor website. They provide hosting as well as user-friendly website builders in one package. The best part is that you don’t need any coding or design experience. This is the most preferred option among busy actors.
- WordPress standard web hosting: This is a no-brainer for budget-conscious actors who appreciate having more control over the appearance and feel of their site. WordPress is a free content management system that allows you to create a website by downloading themes and plugins for enhanced functionality. It has a longer learning curve, but it is the most cost-effective alternative.
Step 3: Create a website structure based on actors
When we discuss website structure, we’re simply referring to the pages you’d want to see on the site. Visitors should be able to easily locate exactly what they need on any acting website.
Must-have pages for professional actor websites
- Home: Make a great first impression by including a headshot, a quote from a review, a brief introduction, your reel, and a list of upcoming performances.
- About: Here’s where you’ll want to talk about your acting experience. This is an excellent opportunity to highlight specific projects or performances of which you are particularly proud.
- Acting experience: Your CV for musical theater could be one page long, whereas your resume for straight acting could be two pages long. You may even make a mini-resume for your commercials if you have a lot of them running.You wouldn’t normally give an agency three resumes, but you can display that “spectrum” of skill and credits on your website.
If you already have an agency, they can choose which CV they want to download and send to a casting director. You’ll obtain more auditions and employment if you make their job easy! Keep it up to date!
- Your blog: Blogging is a great way to give your personal brand a personality. It also allows you to show off your personal style and truly demonstrate who you are through storytelling. Remember that an agent will want to know more about you than your audition and whether or not you get a callback. You can discuss your hobbies, personal beliefs, and sense of humor. More people will hire you if agents and casting directors know, like, and trust you.
- Your movie reels: Your sizzle reel will be a brief, entertaining, and fast-paced trailer featuring clips from your TV shows and films. If you have longer versions, you should post them as separate files on your website.Your sizzle reel is usually the first (and in many cases, the only) thing that an agent or casting director looks at. This is due to the fact that a typical reel has a one-minute run time and is extremely simple to watch.
Make sure you can show off your entire range of acting abilities without making them sit through an entire scene.
Find an excellent editor and create a sizzle—everyone enjoys sizzles. Make your work experience look like a hot trailer from a hit film, and you’ll sell yourself!
- Contact form: Agents on a mission frequently use contact us pages as their primary method of communication. It’s where they go when they have a genuine want to speak with you and have a question. They exist to serve the user by giving them information on how to contact you. Make a contact form or simply put your email address on the page. Include connections to all of your acting-related social media profiles while you’re at it.
Step 4: Make a Professional Email Address
You’ll want to set up a business email account with your domain name once it’s registered and linked to your website. Something like firstname.lastname@example.org will work great.
Although casting directors should always have your agent’s contact information, you may choose to let people know how they can contact you personally. You may finally stop using your old Gmail email address and start using your new, professional one!
Step 5: Search Engine Optimization for Actor Websites
Now that your website is nearly complete, you’ll want it to appear when people search for your name on Google and Bing. You’ll need to start implementing SEO (search engine optimization) on your website in order for this to happen.
The last step in SEO is to connect all of your social media accounts. This helps Google identify you and separate you from other people with the same name.
Every actor in 2022 will need a website. It’s your online home base, a digital portfolio where you may display all of your best work. A well-designed, detailed website demonstrates that you are a professional who is serious about your work.
That’s it for the 5 easy steps to creating the perfect actor website! As a creative professional, you require a website that accurately expresses who you are and what you do. Remember to personalize and customize your template to reflect your personality.
Need help with your actor website design? We’d be honored to help! Check out our WordPress web design services and get in touch today!